Gayness, Multiculture Education, and Community
Dennis Carlson
Quote: " some individuals and subject positions, white middle class, male, heterosexual, ect. get priviledged and represented as Normal while other indiviuals and subjects positions black, working class, female, homosexual etc. are disempowered an represnted as deviant, sick, newrotic, crimianl, lazy, lacking in intelligence, and in other ways abnormal.."
comment: This quote is very powerful becauses its an issue that we come across when ever we tend to teacher this matter of gayness in our classrooms. The quote describes how white male, heterosexual are priviledage over those indiviuals who aren't normal or have less power because they don't fit the typical represention of socity norms.
What I found Interesting in this quote is how it relates to the Johnson reading where the Privilegded are those who are white, male and heterosexuals, they are accepted in the world as the powerful ones and the people who are heared. Its devasting that in my cases the issue of gayness isn't really dicuss in classrooms but kids are still learning about it through other ways. I believe that we need to get pass this issue and accept the fact that their are other different kinds of people and they shoudn't be judge so harsh based on their preferences.
while reading this articule I thought that Carlson points out many key points especally with this quote about who are privledge and how socity keeps those not in power sinced less and not normal, they are looked down and aren't talked in classrooms. This issue had been around a while ago and as more and more people start to open up the issue and introduces this topic the better we get to accepted it. But of course their are those who still are indenial. No matter what this issue I believe should be taught in School becasue kids see and hear all this outside of school and they might not be inform right. So I think its better to make a start and intoduce this to them.
I agree...it is definitely better to expose the children to what they will see in everyday life rather than hiding it from them!
ReplyDeleteI think it is so important to expose the children at a young age. I think it will decrease the ignorance that we have acquired over the years, and help children see everyone as equals.
ReplyDelete