Monday, October 25, 2010

Talking point #6

A Particularly cheap White Whine
By: Tim Wise

Quote:  “To suggest that race-based Scholarships are some unique and illegitimate break with an otherwise meritocratic system is preposterous. Fact is, there are plenty of scholarships that have nothing to do with merit per se, but about which conservatives say nothing: scholarships for people who are left-handed, or kids whose parents sell Tupperware, or the children of horse-breeders, or descendants of the signers of the declaration of independence, among many thousands of such awards.”
                I found it very ridiculous that most of these scholarships have nothing to do with metric purpose like this article says. I found this quotes very interested because it’s so true that in today’s society scholarship are giving based on this things and I think it shouldn’t be that way. It should be giving to students who want an opportunity to go to college and succeed in life to be better in life like for most cases their parents weren’t able to. I come from a low income family and I am the first in my family to go to college so being able to come to continue my education has been great. I think that there needs to be more opportunity to those unprivileged students that are of color. I see no point to giving this group of people scholarship just because they belong to this privilege group. There are a number of white privilege kids that dominate the other races just because this country and society as a whole allow this to happen. I see no change happening and just because white want to make it better and give scholarship based on color isn’t really helping out much or changing the way society leaves this people out.  
Quote: “ Special efforts to provide access and opportunity to such persons should be made, not because they  are black, per se, or Latino, or whatever; but because to be a person of color has meant something in this country, and continues to mean something, in terms of one’s access to full and equal opportunity”.
                I agree with this quote 100% because it shouldn’t matter your skin color or your race what should matter is how well you do in school and how as a person you work hard to demonstrates your devotion to study and get ahead in life, to want to learn and to show that you are willing to fight for your dream by working hard to be successful and achieve your goals. Each person deserves and an equal opportunity and it should be giving to them no matter what race they are from. Everyone deserves  to get a changes to prove they mean something to this country like Wise says the person has to mean something in the country  have access to that opportunity. I think that it’s not fair for those people that for years had been targeted and deny the chance to allow for the development of their full potential now this country wants to fix it by allowing them to fit in and feeling equal. But to some extant are not treated equal because racism still continues and the problems are just been ignore and put on the side and by coming out with this new solution is going to changed things. I don’t think that is true.
Quotes: “On average, black student’s families are only able to cover about forty-two percent of the cost of college at the nation’s most selective schools, while whites’ families are able to cover, on average roughly seventy-four percent of the total cost.”
                I wasn’t very surprise to see this numbers because I know that for most of the unfortunate families they aren’t able to pay for their kid’s future, which makes it very impossible for these students to continue their education. The reality is that the white rich families have all the advantage to get a better education because they are able to provide their kids with a good future. It’s sad that too see that these families struggle for an opportunity. There is so much differences in looking at this statistics and seeing how racial disparate in economic background and how race based scholarships seek to put remedy for students who want to compete college but can’t. They think that by providing this kind of help will solve the problem and won’t get blame for not trying to help but really there are not helping at all because they is only making them look good and the people are race aren’t looking for that to happen. They need better ways than this.

3 comments:

  1. No quesrion he numbers cannot be argued. I'm not sure how to fix this but at the same time I know i am sure not one of those people who can afford college and I am white. So I see the statistics, but I think nowadays everyone needs help, or at least i do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think having scholarships targeted to low income families is a good idea and since majority of them in this country are non-white, it makes sense to me to give scholarships for blacks. scholarships are different than financial aid; both my parents have been laid off and are unemployed, which leaves my schooling to be paid for by me, but thats where the financial aid comes in. scholarships are different though, they based on specific qualities, whether it be academics or the color of your skin and are not given based on family income. so i think these scholarships are fine and should be left alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Vanessa, everyone needs help when its comes to college, and scholarships are the right answers. College is not cheap!

    ReplyDelete